How to Create Great Blog Topics
When you are looking to draw attention to your blog posts, there are a few tried-and-true methods that will not only get your blog read, but increase its variability to draw in more leads with each and every share.
Look to your Keywords
The most difficult part of writing a business blog is selecting a timely topic that your target market will WANT to read. Think of your target keyword list as a launch pad for each blog post you write. Take a keyword, and ask a question that applies to your target market and industry, like Who, What, When, Where or Why. Want a few examples?
Keyword: Business Marketing
- How to Define your Target Market for your Business Marketing.
- Where to Post Business Marketing Content for Best Results.
Watch the Headlines
What is the latest news that would be of interest to your target audience? Blogs need to be timely and relevant, and there’s no better way to stay on top of the topics you want to share with your contacts than to monitor the latest news in your industry.
There are a couple of ways you can keep your finger on the pulse of your industry news:
- Google Alerts: Use your keyword list and set up daily Google alerts to see what the latest headlines are about your industry and focus topics.
- Tip: Set the Result Type Criteria to “Everything” so you get the full view of conversations in your industry.
- Industry Ezines and Newsletters: Sign up for industry ezines and newsletters to keep up on trends and best-practice topics in your niche. It means a little more mail in your inbox, but you’ll offer better service if you know what the latest news is that can affect your clients. That doesn’t mean you have to subscribe to EVERY newsletter that talks shop, stick to 3 or 4 of the most reliable sources, and you’ll cover the bases effectively.
Check your Social Media Connections
Social Media is a great way to stay apprised of the conversations your target market is having. Take a look at what conversations are happening on your and other industry-related pages, and select your blog topics from the subjects that are drawing the most chatter.
- Tip: Don’t just look for the positive topics, look for the conversations that are based on controversial topics as well and build your blog post based on your professional take on the discussion.
Blog topics need to speak to your audience and get their attention. Keep in mind that a marketing consultant needs to keep their ear to the ground to understand how to do the best topic research for their clients and use the best practices, including those listed above, to maintain awareness in online news topics. If you don’t have the time, hiring a marketing consultancy may be the best route for you to take.